Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs

What is antifreeze?

Antifreeze, or ethylene glycol, is a common ingredient in car coolants. It’s sweet tasting and appealing to dogs. Unfortunately, it can cause severe toxicity (poisoning) if ingested in small amounts. The toxic effects of antifreeze are actually due to a metabolite of the drug called calcium oxalate.

Antifreeze is a common name for the fluid used in cars to keep your vehicle’s engine cool. There are several types of antifreeze, and they are commonly available in many places throughout your home and community. Antifreezes contain ethylene glycol (EG), which is poisonous to dogs, cats and humans.

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning

Antifreeze poisoning can be devastating for dogs. If your dog has been exposed to antifreeze, you should look out for the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy (tiredness) and uncoordinated movements
  • Dizziness or staggering (ataxia)
  • Seizures that may be followed by coma

Diagnosis

  • Blood and urine tests
  • Liver and kidney function tests
  • Blood sugar test: This test can help determine if the patient is diabetic. It may also help determine whether or not the patient has developed diabetes because they were poisoned with antifreeze.
  • Blood count and clotting test: To check for internal bleeding or any other illnesses that could cause poor blood clotting, such as liver disease or leukemia.

Treatment

Treatment for antifreeze poisoning in dogs is largely supportive care. Your vet may give your dog intravenous fluids, to make sure they don’t get dehydrated. They’ll probably also administer activated charcoal to bind up any toxins that might be in their system, and if your dog was poisoned with ethylene glycol, they’ll give them an antidote for that as well. The most important thing is to get your pet to the vet as quickly as possible so they can start treatment right away!

See also  Zinc Poisoning in Dogs

Antifreeze can be fatal to dogs and needs immediate medical attention.

Antifreeze is dangerous for dogs, and it can be fatal if ingested. Antifreeze is sweet tasting, which makes it attractive to dogs, but it’s also toxic to them. If you suspect that your dog has ingested antifreeze or any other type of toxic substance, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Antifreeze poisoning can occur when a dog ingests antifreeze directly or absorbs the chemical through its skin after licking liquid off a surface (usually concrete).

Conclusion

Antifreeze is a serious threat to your dog’s health. If you suspect that your dog has ingested any antifreeze, or if you think that he may have been exposed to antifreeze, contact your local veterinarian immediately for treatment.