Anyone with a pet knows that they can be a big source of dust and dander. Not only are they a nuisance, but they can also be a health hazard for people with allergies. In fact, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America, pets are one of the leading causes of asthma attacks in children.
If you have pets and you suffer from asthma or allergies, you need an air purifier. An air purifier will help remove the allergens from the air in your home, which will help reduce your symptoms. But not all air purifiers are created equal. Some are better at removing allergens than others.
If you’re looking for an air purifier that is specifically designed to remove pet dander and other allergens from the air, you’re in luck. We’ve gathered the top pet-allergy air purifiers on the market to help you find one that will work for your situation.
The Importance of Air Purifiers
An air purifier is a piece of equipment that uses a process called electrostatic filtration to remove particles from the air. Negative ions in the air attract and capture particles like dust, pollen, pet dander, mold spores, smoke etc. You can then easily clean or rinse the filter so you can reuse it again.
Air purifiers with HEPA (high-efficiency particulate arresting) filters can remove at least 95% of air pollutants in a room. Some purifiers can remove up to 99%. When you’re looking for an air purifier, make sure it has a true HEPA filter. If it doesn’t say “HEPA,” chances are it’s not a true HEPA filter.
Best Air Purifiers For Pets
- OZONE FREE: Levoit air purifiers avoid using UV-C light, an air cleaning method that research has shown can produce harmful ozone and secondary pollution
- HIGH PERFORMANCE: Enjoy fresh air in minutes with the Core 300 True HEPA Air Purifier. Featuring VortexAir Technology and 360° air intake, the Core 300 cleans spaces up to 547 ft² in 30 minutes, 219 ft² in 12 minutes (CADR: 141 CFM / 240 m³/h). Only products over 6 pounds can be equipped with such powerful motors that optimize the air cleaning performance
- FIND RELIEF: Ease sneezing, congestion, and other allergy symptoms caused by airborne contaminants. The H13 True HEPA Filter works alongside the Pre-Filter and High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter to capture 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as dust, smoke, pollen, odor
- OFFICIAL LEVOIT FILTERS: Search for B07RSZSYNC or Core 300-RF to find Levoit's Core 300 replacement filter. Levoit filters provide the best fit and filtration, while off-brand filters are unreliable and may damage the air purifier
- MULTIPLE FILTER CHOICES: Choose from a variety of replacement filters to best meet your needs. The Toxin Absorber Filter specializes in smog, toxins, and VOCs. The Smoke Remover filter specializes in wildfire, smoke and etc. And the Pet Allergy Filter helps to capture pet dander and absorb unpleasant odors
- 🍃【Higher-Efficiency 3 Stage Filtration System】 Air purifiers for bedroom features a Pre-Filter, H13 True HEPA Filter, Activated Carbon work together to re-m0ve 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as dust, smoke, pollen, pet fur, odor etc. Relief sneezing itchy etc and it's good choice for pets owner.
- 🍃【Add Fragrance Design Sponge】HEPA air purifiers also has an aromatherapy add-on where essential oils (not inculded) can be applied to the sponge material (inculded 5 pieces replacement sponge) below the purifier air outlet . You can add any scent you want to get the freshest smell for your room.
- 🍃【Circular Design for 360° Coverage】BS-03 smoke air purifier series with its cylindrical base, the unique top air outlet leaning on front for more direct air flow to users and increase 45% Circulation Spend than others. The cylindrical design is both pleasing to the eye and efficient.
- 🍃【2022 New Updated - Energy Efficient】It is enough for this portable air purifiers to clean any spaces up to 215 square feet and only uses from 7 to 18 watts for power consumption. Noise Level: 24-50dB. You can use the air purifier 24/7 without worrying of the electricity bill.
- 🍃【User-Friendly】Pressing the child lock button for 3–5 seconds you'll freeze the touch panel. This is definitely a useful function if you have curious children or pets at home. The Check Filter Indicator will let you know when it’s time for a fresh filter and the filter’s actual performance will depend on how often you run your air cleaner and how air quality level is.
- 100% OZONE-FREE: The Vital 100 is completely ozone free and never uses UV-C light, which the research has shown can produce harmful ozone and secondary pollution.
- POWERFUL PERFORMANCE: With a CADR of 130 CFM/ 221 m3/h, the Vital 100 is perfect for living rooms, bedrooms, and kitchens. Covers 300 ft²/ 28 m² in only 18 minutes. (Only products over 6 pounds can be equipped with such powerful motors that optimize the air cleaning performance)
- 3-STAGE FILTRATION: Comes equipped with a washable pre-filter for large particles like lint and fur, a High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter for toxic fumes and unpleasant odors, and an H13 True HEPA Filter, which captures at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size.
- SLEEP COMFORTABLY: With noise levels as low as 23 decibels, the Vital 100 won’t keep you up at night. You can also turn off the display lights when it’s time for bed.
- USER-FRIENDLY: Set a timer for 2, 4, or 8 hours whenever you like. The Check Filter Indicator will let you know when it’s time for a fresh filter.
- ADVANCED AIR CLEANING TECH: Combines a HEPA-13 filter that captures 99.97% of dust, pollen, smoke, mold, & other ultrafine impurities, combined with Plasma Ion Technology that projects positive and negative ions in the air allowing you to breathe easy.
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Filters up to 630 SQFT per hour, and AHAM-Verified to exchange 126 SQFT 5 times per hour, allowing you to breathe cleaner air in minutes.
- AUTO MODE: Automatically senses the air quality and adjusts the fan up or down according to detected quality. Light band indicates when air quality is good (white), okay (orange) or poor (red) and adjusts to get back to good.
- ODOR REDUCER: Activated carbon filter layer helps decreasing unpleasant smells, allowing your rooms or office space to be refreshed.
- WHISPER-QUIET: Light sensor automatically turns off displays and lowers noise to whisper-quiet levels when it is time for bed.
- High Efficiency Air Purification System: Using HEPA active carbon filter, can capture 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 microns in size, such as PM2.5, dust particle, dander, pollen, cigarette smoke and peculiar smell.
- Air Circulation Rate Full Coverage: The design of the air purifier features 360° air intake, that will be faster to refresh the air in your room. The refresh rate is 5 times per hour than the regular one. Mighty with large purification area covered is suitable for an area of 302 sq.
- Sleep Model at Night: Filtering the air with lowest noise level of 24 db is perfect for restful and soothing indoor environment, which is helpful to sleep deeply. Air purifiers for home large room the light is not strong at night, which will not bring you any discomfort while sleeping. More care for mother, baby and children.
- Portable Air Purifier: Easily take this small air purifier to anywhere, office, living room, bedroom, even traveling , what you require is just an adapter. Always have fresh air around you, keep your life healthy.
- Filter Replacement: Regularly cleaning and maintenance will ensure that the air purifier woks well. The power light turns to red is to remind you that it is time to change the filter. One filter works for about 3 months
- Efficient Particle Filtration: AROEVE air purifier uses H13 HEPA filter, which can effectively filter any particles larger than 0.3 microns, such as Smoke, Pollen, Dander, Hair, Smell. no need to worry about any air quality problems anymore, just turn on the product and enjoy a healthy life.
- High Circulation Rate: The purifier adopts dual-channel technology and 360-degree air outlet, refreshes the air 5x per hour in rooms as large as 215 ft² / 20 m²cover. No corner is left untouched, we will guard your health.
- Low Decibel Operation: Turn on the sleep mode of the purifier and the fan will be reduced to the lowest speed. You won't hear any sound anymore, but the purifier is really working. Filtered air noise is as low as 22db, perfect for a quiet and soothing indoor environment.
- Enjoy Fragrant Air: Take out the aroma pad below the purifier air outlet and add 4-5 drops of your favorite essential oil (Not Included). With the flow of the fresh air, the fragrance will follow it to circulate to every corner of your room. The air that the family breathes is not only healthy and comfortable but also fragrant.
- Notice: Our machines are set up with a 2000 hour cartridge replacement reminder, the red indicator light will turn on when the purifier has been in use for more than 2000 hours. For the health of you and your family, we recommend that you replace the filter cartridge once every 3-6 months.
- REFRESH & RELAX: If you struggle with allergies, low-quality sleep, congestion, or symptoms caused by pet dander, the Levoit Core Mini Air Purifier is ready to help you create a healthy space
- MATTER OF MINUTES: Breathe freely and sleep better as the air purifier uses 360° VortexAir Technology 3.0 and 3-stage filtration to ensure top-notch air purification
- QUIET OPERATION: Sleep soundly without loud rattling coming from your air purifier. This little air purifier keeps noise levels as low as 25dB while keeping your space fresh
- AROMATHERAPY: Struggling with pet odors or musty smells, Add a few drops of fragrant essential oils to the aroma pad to keep your space smelling great
- SAVE SPACE: Tired of dragging a bulky purifier back and forth, Light, travel-friendly, and compact, the Levoit Core Mini Air Purifier (6.5 × 6.5 × 10.4 in) easily fits in any bedroom, office, or living room, creating less clutter and more fresh air
- 4-in-1 filter includes pre-filter layer and a combination of an activated carbon and high efficiency filter for 99 % of 0.1 micron particles or larger on sleep mode including pollen dust smoke and dander
- Activated carbon works on common household odors pet odors and volatile organic compounds. AIRTOK 4-In-1 air purifiers use advanced DC Brushless Motor, powerful and energy saving(Rated Power 10W).
- Air purifier with Fragrance Sponge & Night Light& Low Noise Add your favorite essential oils (Not Included) to the aroma pad (12pcs included in the package)under the cover, the aroma will diffuse throughout the room with the air movement. You can choose whether turn on or off the night light according to yourself. Air purifiers for bedroom less than 50dB white noise at the highest wind speed,with low speed reduce noise levels to a near 25dB
- 3 Fan Speed and Timer 2H 4H 8H & Low Noise & Child Lock According to room area and needs to control the speed of the purifier.Timer Options (2H/4H/8H) allow you set the air purifier to run for a specific time, helping you save energy and money. Using Lock function to avoid error operation caused by pet or children due to their curiosity
- QUALITY TESTED & BACKED: CARB Certified, FCC Certified, and ETL Listed.Recommended for spaces around 100 sq ft so it's great for home offices or bedrooms. Backed by a USA registered Lifetime Warranty when genuine AIRTOK replacement filters are used. The replacement filter ( B09QWXXHVM ) lasts about 3-4 months.
- 🍀Faster Air Cleaner: Afloia air purifier filters air 4x per hour in 220 sq feet, it only takes An Hour to purify a 880 ft² room.
- 🍀True HEPA H13 Filter: Imported 3 stage filters can filter particles as small as 0.03 microns and air pollution of PM 2.5 and remove 99.99% of pet dander, dust, pollen, smoke, odor, mold, etc. Effectively improving indoor air quality.
- 🍀Pet Families Friendly: Home essentials for pet families, Afloia air purifiers for pets help with the smell of pets as well as hair and dander. Keep the air in your house fresh, help you away of allergies.
- 🍀2/4/8H Timer: Only 24 dB on sleep mode, put this air filter in bedroom and customize the running time of the air purifier（2H/4H/8H), then wake up with fresh air.
- 🍀Multiple Filter Choices: Please replace with Afloia filter element every 4-6 months (up to the air quality in your area). B087TT2N14:Original Filter; B09VPS21KC: Pet Allergy Filter; B09WYSZ331:Antibacterial Filter. You can search ASIN on Amazon to get replacement filters you want.
- Neutralize Stinky Smells: Cute as they are, pets can smell sometimes. Now introducing Custom High-Efficiency Activated Carbon Filter - the effective odor eliminator for pet odors, litter box smells, and cooking smoke.
- Perfect for Pet Parents: Experiencing coughing, congestion, or breathing difficulties caused by pets. Levoit Core P350 provides H13 True HEPA Filtration to reduce sneezing, itchiness, and stuffy nose by purifying the air you breathe.
- Cleaner House: Did you know an air purifier can help you spend less time cleaning. It's possible with P350. The fine Non-Woven Fabric Pre-Filter traps large floating particles such as pet fur, hair, dust, and lint, helping to reduce the amount of debris on your floor and furniture.
- Sleep Safe & Sound: Don't ever worry about your furry friend being disturbed by the air purifier - Sleep Mode turns display indicators to half-brightness and keeps noise levels as low as 24dB, so you can sleep while cuddling with your cute little one.
- Safety First: Unlike other air purifiers, the Core P350 doesn't use ions to purify the air, keeping your pets safe from harmful exposure to certain particles.
Last update on 27th September 2022 / Affiliate Links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Common Particles that Air Purifiers Can Remove
Dust and Dust Mites: These airborne particles come from many sources, including household dust, pet dander, carpet fibers and dead skin cells. It is estimated that as much as 10 pounds of dust accumulate in the average American household every year! Removing these particles will significantly improve your indoor air quality.
Pollen: During certain times of the year, you may experience excessive sneezing and watery eyes due to pollen in the air. Allergens like pollen can also aggravate asthma symptoms. If you suffer from allergies or asthma, it’s important that you have an air purifier.
Pet Dander: Pet dander is a very common allergen that can cause problems for people with asthma and allergies. Some breeds, such as the Siberian husky and the Newfoundland, are particularly problematic because they produce large amounts of dander. If you’re looking for an air purifier to help reduce your pet dander allergies, look for one that is specifically designed to remove pet dander from the air.
Tobacco Smoke: If you or someone in your household smokes tobacco products, you have an increased risk of lung cancer and other health problems. In fact, cigarette smoke contains 10 times more particles than a wood fire does. If you smoke in your home, removing tobacco particles from the air will help keep everyone in your household healthier.
Smells: If you have pets, chances are they may smell a bit on occasion. An air purifier with an activated carbon filter can remove pet odors and other strong smells that come into your home. This is especially helpful during the holidays, when you may cook things like fish and onions in your home.
How To Choose the Right Air Purifier for Your Pet Allergies
When you’re looking for an air purifier, there are a few factors to consider. Understanding these factors will help ensure that you choose the best air purifier for your needs. Before we get into the specific things to look at, let’s talk about some general considerations:
1. Get One That Fits Your Lifestyle
If you find that you need an air purifier to help with your symptoms, make sure it’s one that will fit into your lifestyle. For example, if you have pets, get a purifier that has a true HEPA filter and is designed to remove pet dander from the air. If you want to reduce the smell of your cooking, get an air purifier with an activated carbon filter that can remove strong odors from the air.
2. Get One That Has The Right Filter
Each air purifier has a specification sheet that will tell you what size filter it uses and how many square feet it covers. You can find this information on most retail websites where the products are sold, or contact the manufacturer directly. You will need to make sure that the filter your purifier uses is compatible with your HVAC system (heating, ventilating and air conditioning).
3. Find One With The Right Speeds & Settings
The speeds and settings on an air purifier can vary based on what you’re trying to achieve, so it’s important that you have the right one. For example, if you have pet dander allergies, be sure your air purifier has a setting specifically designed to reduce pet dander in the air.
4. Look At Annual Maintenance Costs
Most air purifiers are relatively inexpensive to maintain by comparison with other home appliances. However, there are some models that have a lot of moving parts and motors. If you want to save money on repairing your purifier each year, choose one with as few components as possible.
Benefits of Using an Air Purifier
1. Get Relief From Your Pet Allergies
Some of the most popular benefits of owning an air purifier are relief from pet allergies and asthma symptoms. Pollen, pet dander, pet odors, tobacco smoke and strong smells can all be reduced or eliminated by using an air purifier in your home.
2. Saves Money On Vet Visits
If you have pets, you may find yourself visiting the vet fairly often because of health issues that stem from pet allergies. Although an air purifier can’t prevent your pet from getting sick, it can help reduce coughing and sneezing in both you and your furry friend. This helps keep visits to the vet to a minimum, which saves you money in the long run.
3. Helps Your Pets Breathe Easier
In addition to helping you breathe easier, an air purifier can improve another member of your family’s breathing as well – your pets! By reducing allergens and other irritants that enter your home from the outside, an air purifier can help reduce coughing, sneezing, runny noses and watery eyes. This keeps your pets feeling healthier and happier overall.
4. Helps To Remove Pet Odors
Pet odors are often caused by allergens like pollen and mold spores that cling to their fur. These irritants are then brought into your home, where they are inhaled by you and your pets. By using an air purifier in your home, you can help reduce the amount of pet dander that is brought into your space. This helps reduce or remove foul odors from your home.