How to Treat Iron Poisoning in Dogs

Iron is a mineral that’s essential for the normal functioning of your dog’s body, but iron poisoning can be deadly if not treated quickly. Luckily, there are several steps you can take if you believe your dog has been poisoned with iron supplements. Start by contacting your veterinarian as soon as possible and following their instructions carefully.

Call your veterinarian immediately.

Call the poison control center immediately. If you can’t get through to your vet, call another vet in the area and ask for their advice. If your dog is showing signs of distress or has ingested a large amount of iron, it’s important that you get help right away.

Locate the source of the iron poisoning.

The next step is to locate the source of the iron poisoning. If you know where it came from, you can limit your dog’s access to it and make sure other pets or family members don’t try to eat it.

  • What type of iron was present? If your dog ate a piece of metal, like a nail, he may have swallowed some rust as well—which isn’t poisonous but is unpleasant for him to experience while digesting his meal. The same goes for any supplements: if they contain iron and were taken orally, there could be some rust on them as well. Once you’ve identified whether or not there’s any rust involved in this case, move on to identifying which type of supplement caused the poisoning (if one did).
  • What kind(s) of supplements? There are several different types available on the market today: liquid forms like chews and drops; powder forms that can be added to food or water; gel caps that contain small amounts meant only for small dogs under 15 pounds; large palatable chewable tablets with bigger chunks inside that require chewing before swallowing whole; etcetera…
See also  What to Do if Your Dog Ate a Battery

Look for signs of iron poisoning in your dog, including vomiting, diarrhea, and bloody stools.

The most common signs of iron poisoning in dogs are vomiting and diarrhea. If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned by an iron supplement, keep an eye out for bloody stools. If you notice any of these symptoms, contact a vet immediately!

It can take anywhere from one to three days for symptoms to appear after ingestion of an iron supplement. In some cases, symptoms may not show up until two weeks later or longer!

Calculate the amount of iron ingested by your dog.

To begin calculating the amount of iron ingested by your dog, you must first know how much iron is in the supplement. Then, you must determine how much of that supplement your dog consumed. This may be easier said than done; often, there are no labels on supplements that state this information.

You can also calculate the amount of iron ingested by your dog if it ate food containing an excess amount of iron. First, find out how much food was eaten and then check its nutritional content for amounts per serving size. You should also look up the percentage of daily value (DV) for each nutrient listed on a pet food label for comparison with DV values given by humans because they differ between species; some foods may contain more or less iron based solely upon what animal they were made for (e.g., dogs versus humans).

Do not induce vomiting without your veterinarian’s approval.

You should never induce vomiting without your veterinarian’s approval. While it can be tempting to try to remove any poison from your dog’s stomach, it is important that you consult with a vet before doing so. Your vet will give you advice on whether or not to induce vomiting, and if so, when the best time for that would be. The vet may also recommend taking other measures such as bringing your dog into the emergency room or having him or her hospitalized until symptoms have subsided completely.

See also  How Blue-Green Algae Can Harm Your Dog

Give your dog activated charcoal if recommended by your veterinarian.

Your veterinarian may recommend activated charcoal for dogs if they’ve been poisoned with a substance that can be absorbed through their digestive system. It is not a substitute for medical treatment, but it can help reduce the effect of an ingested poison.

Activated charcoal is a fine black powder that has been processed to increase its chemical surface area by exposing large numbers of small pores in the material’s structure. This causes it to absorb certain substances such as drugs and poisons from the body by binding with them in the digestive tract.

Monitor your dog after treatment.

You will want to monitor your dog for signs of improvement or deterioration after treatment. If no improvement occurs within 72 hours, contact your veterinarian immediately. If there is improvement within 72 hours, continue monitoring your dog for at least one week after the first dose has been given.

Conclusion

If you have any suspicions that your dog has been poisoned, it’s important to contact your veterinarian immediately. From there, they will know best how to help you and your pet. If you don’t think your dog is at immediate risk of iron poisoning but still want to take preventative measures, be sure to keep all supplements out of reach of your dog—whether they contain iron or not.