Is Rawhide Bad for Dogs?

For many dog owners, rawhide chew toys are a favorite option for keeping their pups occupied during periods of alone time. But in recent years, reports linking rawhide chews to gastrointestinal blockages and other health problems have some owners concerned about whether these types of chews pose serious risks for their dogs. To ensure your dog’s safety, it’s important to understand the composition and potential benefits of rawhide chews before making a decision on whether or not to include them in your pet’s playtime routine.

What is rawhide?

First off, what is rawhide? Rawhide is a food product made from the dried skin of cattle, pigs and horses. It’s not digestible by dogs and can be very dangerous if eaten. The most common type of rawhide is cowhide, which comes from cattle who were raised for their meat (and not for their hides).

Cowhides are processed in different ways: some come from animals that have been slaughtered, while others are acquired from tanneries where they are made into leather products such as purses or shoes. These hogs and lambs do not typically undergo any kind of butchering process before being turned into rawhide chews; instead their skins are simply removed whole after being tanned in vats with lime juice or saltwater brine (which turns them white).

Cause for concern with rawhide

While rawhide is a popular treat for dogs, it’s important to remember that all treats come with their own risks. Rawhide can cause choking if your dog swallows it whole and can be dangerous for dogs who have swallowed large pieces of rawhide in the past.

Rawhides can also cause tooth decay when chewed on over long periods of time—especially if your dog has already lost some teeth due to age or injury—and are not suitable for puppies under 6 months old because their puppy teeth are still developing. Finally, there’s always the risk that your dog will develop an allergic reaction to certain types or brands of rawhides (or any other type of product they’re exposed to).

How to keep your dog safe

If your dog is a biter and you have a healthy, normal amount of rawhide laying around the house, it’s best to keep it out of reach. Dogs that chew on their rawhides too long can swallow small pieces whole. These pieces become more dangerous if they’re sharp or pointy, like when you’ve got something chewed up from a cow hoof and not just the soft fleshy part.

If you think your dog might eat something besides beef (like pork), then stay away from rawhide made from that animal too!

Dogs with allergies will want to steer clear of all beef products anyway. Just because there are no preservatives in these treats doesn’t mean that they’re completely safe for dogs with allergies!

Rawhide is not bad for your dog!

Rawhide is a great way to help your dog to digest. The chewing action of rawhide helps the digestive system, and it can also help you as a pet owner.

Rawhide is not bad for your dog. In fact, rawhide chew toys can be a great way to help your dog spend his energy in a productive way while he’s home alone or waiting for you at the front door after work!

The truth is that rawhide has been used as an ingredient in many foods for many years, so it’s no surprise that it’s safe for dogs as well!


Rawhide is a great chew toy for dogs and can help keep them occupied when they are bored. While there have been some concerns with rawhide being bad for dogs, the reality is that it just depends on what kind of rawhide you get. Do your research before buying your dog any type of rawhide and make sure it’s made without chemicals or additives that could be harmful to them!