Poisonous Plants for Dogs

Plant Poisoning in dogs is a common occurrence in veterinary practice. There are many reasons for this. Plants may be ingested accidentally, or dogs may attack them out of boredom or curiosity. Some plants contain toxins that can cause severe illness or even death if ingested.

The length of time since ingestion and whether or not it was witnessed by someone else who could provide details on what happened when they saw their dog eating something outside (this helps us determine how quickly we need to act in order to save your pet’s life!).

Rhododendron (also known as Azaleas)

Azaleas are a flowering plant that can cause serious harm to your pet. If you have azaleas on your property, be sure to keep an eye out for signs of ingestion by your dog or cat.

If he or she does ingest azalea leaves or flowers, call your veterinarian immediately and follow his instructions for decontamination if there is any evidence of oral contact with the plant.

If you suspect that he has licked the plant, try to get him to vomit by giving him some hydrogen peroxide mixed with water (1 teaspoon per 5 pounds) orally as soon as possible. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed by your veterinarian because it could make matters worse by causing further irritation and damage to the esophagus, throat, mouth and stomach lining due to the toxic alkaloids present in azalea plants.

English Ivy

English Ivy (Hedera helix) is a plant with glossy, dark green leaves that can grow two to three feet in width. It has five lobed leaves and can be identified by its trailing vines, which cling to structures and other plants. The entire plant is poisonous to dogs, but the berries are especially toxic. Symptoms of English ivy poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, depression and loss of appetite. If you think your dog has eaten English Ivy:

Oleander

Oleander (Nerium oleander) is a common ornamental plant that can be found in gardens and parks around the world. While it’s known for its striking flowers, the entire plant—including the leaves and stems—contain poisonous chemicals called cardiac glycosides. These chemicals make oleander toxic to humans, other animals, and even cats.

See also  Toad Poisoning in Dogs

If ingested by your dog, oleander poisoning symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors or seizures and even death in severe cases (but more on that later). It’s important to note that different parts of this plant are more dangerous than others: The leaves contain higher concentrations of poison than other parts of the plant. In fact one leaf can kill more than 100 dogs!

Sago Palm & Cycads

You might not think that your dog could be harmed by a plant, but they can. Sago palms are common houseplants that can be found in many homes. While the sago palm is toxic to dogs and humans, it is also poisonous to cats so don’t let them eat the plant either. Cycads are a group of plants that look similar to palms and ferns and since they don’t grow in the wild anymore (they used to be extinct), most people won’t know what they are unless they’re botanists or gardeners who specialize in exotic plants.

Cycads contain a toxin called “cycasin” which causes vomiting and gastrointestinal upset when ingested by any animal including humans! If you do happen to have one of these plants around your home, keep it away from all pets at all times because even if their fur was brushed against it accidentally while playing outside on their own turf; there’s still a risk involved just because those leaves could still rub off onto them when they come inside later on down the road after being exposed outside first hand without even realizing what happened until later when things started happening again once more (which happens often).

Tulip and Narcissus bulbs (tulipanin)

Tulip and narcissus bulbs are both poisonous to dogs. Tulipanin is the toxin in these bulbs and it is also poisonous to cats. It can cause intestinal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, diarrhea and muscle tremors if your dog eats a tulip bulb or a narcissus bulb. You may want to keep your tulips on a table or cabinet away from pets’ reach so they don’t try to eat them!

Tulip bulbs are commonly ingested by dogs. The toxic agent which causes the symptoms in dogs is thought to be found in all parts of this plant including leaves, stems and flowers so it’s important not only if you’re growing them indoors but also outdoors that you don’t have any stray flower heads lying around on the ground where curious paws can get at them!

See also  Spring Cleaning for your Pets

Philodendrons

Philodendron is a genus of tropical and subtropical flowering plants in the Araceae family. The genus includes about 570 species. It is the largest genus in the family, with new species still being discovered today.

In general, philodendrons have large leaves which grow either one at a time or in clusters on pseudo-stems known as scandent axes. They are native to rainforests from Mexico to Brazil but also commonly grown indoors as houseplants throughout temperate regions (especially North America).

These versatile plants can be used for many different things including decoration, naturalizing outdoor areas and even eating! Some species make good groundcovers while others can grow into climbing vines up trees or trellises. Their thick stems support small aerial roots that help them cling onto surfaces making them great candidates for hanging baskets or container gardens as well as being used to cover arbors or fences where they will create a lush green canopy overhead while providing privacy underneath their leafy boughs.”

Dieffenbachia

The dieffenbachia plant is a tropical plant and a member of the Araceae family. It’s a popular houseplant that’s frequently used in offices, schools and homes.

The dieffenbachia has sharp spines on its leaves. The white or cream-colored flowers are borne on long stems above large heart-shaped leaves that can grow up to 60 cm (24 inches) long. The leaves are ovate in shape with pointed tips and have smooth edges, although some varieties have wavy edges instead.

Dogs have been reported to experience mouth irritation after chewing on dieffenbachia leaves; however, this reaction is usually mild and generally subsides within hours without treatment beyond cleaning out your dog’s mouth if necessary, according to veterinarian Dr Peter Dobiasz of Animal Emergency Hospital of Chicago

Autumn Crocus

Autumn crocus (Colchicum autumnale) is a pretty little plant that grows in many areas of the world. It produces small flowers with a purple-red to white color, which bloom in the fall. The plant contains a toxic alkaloid called colchicine and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain for your dog.

See also  What to Do if Your Dog Ate a Battery

Autumn crocus can be fatal to dogs if ingested in large amounts. If you suspect that your dog has eaten any part of this plant and are concerned about its health or behavior, contact your veterinarian immediately!

Tulip and Narcissus bulbs (tulipanin)

Tulip and narcissus bulbs are both poisonous to cats and dogs. Tulip bulbs have been found to be particularly toxic to cats, while narcissus bulbs are only slightly less so. Both plants contain the toxin tulipanin, which is a form of alkaloid similar to nicotine (the compound that makes tobacco deadly). While it’s unlikely that your cat or dog would eat a whole bulb on its own, they can get into trouble if they chew on the leaves or flowers accidentally—and unfortunately, tulipanin is not water soluble!

Tulipanin poisoning in pets usually manifests as vomiting and diarrhea within an hour of ingestion; more serious symptoms include vomiting blood or bleeding from the mouth and rectum. If you suspect your pet has been poisoned by tulips or daffodils (as these will also contain tulipanin), call your local animal hospital immediately for advice about treatment options: milk thistle extract may help with gastrointestinal issues caused by too much digestive enzyme production due to liver damage caused by tulipanin ingestion; surgery might be necessary if there are internal hemorrhages present from severe cases of poisoning where no other treatment options seem viable at this time (though this is uncommon).

Conclusion

We hope this post has helped educate you on what plants are not safe for dogs. If your dog does come into contact with any part of these poisonous plants, we recommend you call your veterinarian immediately or contact the Pet Poison Helpline and take your best friend to the vet too!