Poisonous Plants for Puppies

We have to be cautious in the way we handle our animals, and there are certain plants that can pose a risk to your puppy. Knowing what to look for can help keep your puppy safe and healthy.

Most of the plants mentioned below can be found growing in your neighborhood or even your yard. However, if your pup eats any of them, you could be putting your pet’s life in danger.

In general, any plant that is potentially dangerous to your pet should be eliminated from the diet. Some plants are more dangerous than others. Some are poisonous to all pets, others only to certain breeds.

Common Houseplants That Can Be Dangerous for Puppies

Aloe Vera.

This plant is common in gardens and homes. It may be found on the ground or as a tree with green leaves. The sap can be rubbed on the skin to relieve minor scrapes or on cuts. However, young puppies should not ingest any part of the plant as it can cause severe stomach irritation and vomiting.

Allspice.

Allspice berries are often used in cooking. However, the fruit of the plant can be mistaken for a pepper. Young puppies should not eat any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and bleeding.

Asthma Grass.

Also known as perennial grass, asthmatic grass is an invasive species that thrives in the hot, humid, and rainy climates of the southeastern United States. It is often found in yards and gardens. Young puppies should be wary of this plant because it is poisonous.

Bay Leaf.

This aromatic herb is used to flavor food and used for religious rituals. Bay leaves are commonly used to make medicinal teas. Young puppies should not ingest any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

Bloodroot.

This plant is common to gardens and can grow in wild areas. Young puppies should not eat any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

Blackberries.

This plant is commonly found in gardens. It can grow to heights of up to 10 feet. It is native to North America and grows in woods and forests. Young puppies should not eat any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

See also  Best Elevated Dog Bowls

Burdock.

Burdock is a woody herb with long, narrow leaves and large stems. It is typically used as a vegetable. If your dog eats any part of this plant, you could see signs of stomach irritation within 24 hours.

Cabbagewood.

This common weed is found in gardens and can be found along roadsides and in moist soil. It is toxic to many animals, including dogs. The leaves can be mistaken for a parsley leaf. They should be removed and discarded.

Catnip.

Young puppies should not eat any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

Chili Pepper.

Chili peppers are spicy in flavor and can be found growing in gardens. They can be a popular snack among pets and are often used in sauces. However, young puppies should not ingest any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

Cotton.

Cotton balls are used as toys by puppies and their owners. They are also used to wipe up spills. However, they can be dangerous if eaten, especially if left in the mouth. If your puppy eats a cotton ball, it can cause vomiting and abdominal pain.

Dandelion.

This common plant is considered a weed and can be found growing in gardens and along roadsides. It is toxic to many animals, including dogs. Young puppies should not eat any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

Daylily.

Daylilies are commonly grown as garden plants. They can grow to heights of up to 20 feet and have many varieties. Young puppies should not eat any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

Deer Grass.

This plant is native to the United States and can be found along roadsides, meadows, and wooded areas. Young puppies should not eat any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

Dill.

Dill is a common weed and can be found growing in gardens. It is toxic to many animals, including dogs. Young puppies should not eat any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

See also  How to Stop Your Dog From Peeing in the House

Dog Rose.

This climbing plant is commonly found growing on fences and tree branches. It can grow to heights of up to 15 feet and is toxic to most animals. Young puppies should not eat any part of this plant because it can cause stomach irritation and vomiting.

Sago Palm.

This plant is popular in gardens and can be poisonous to your dog. Its seeds are poisonous, but the fleshy parts of the plant are not poisonous. The leaves act as a purgative when ingested by dogs. It’s important to note that it takes many years for this plant to grow before bearing fruit.

English Ivy.

This plant is popular in gardens and can be found growing along walls. It grows to heights of up to 10 feet. If your puppy eats any part of this plant, you could see signs of stomach irritation within 24 hours.

Tulips

Tulips are common garden plants and can be poisonous to your dog. If your puppy eats a tulip, you could see signs of stomach irritation within 24 hours.

Oleander

This plant is popular in gardens, but it’s also poisonous to your dog. All parts of the plant are toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, heart rate changes, tremors or seizures within a few hours of ingestion. If you suspect that your pet has eaten any part of this plant, contact your veterinarian immediately for treatment

Philodendrons

These plants are common in greenhouses and homes. They can grow to heights of up to 10 feet. If your puppy eats any part of this plant, you could see signs of stomach irritation within 24 hours.

Rhododendron (also known as Azaleas)

Azaleas. Although they are beautiful, azaleas can be deadly to dogs. Their leaves and nectar are poisonous to animals. Some signs that you dog has eaten azaleas are weakness or paralysis of the rear legs, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and even coma or death in serious cases.

Amaryllis

This bulbous plant is poisonous to dogs. If your puppy eats an amaryllis, you could see signs of stomach irritation within 24 hours.

Gladiola.

This flower is popular in gardens and can be poisonous to your dog. Eating this plant can cause stomach irritation, vomiting and diarrhea. If you suspect that your pet has eaten any part of this plant, contact your veterinarian immediately for treatment.

See also  Best All Natural Cat Food Pouches

What to do if your puppy eats a poisonous plant

If you suspect that your puppy has eaten any part of a poisonous plant, contact your veterinarian immediately. It’s also important to keep the plant so that the vet can identify it and know what type of toxicity it may cause. Your vet will advise you to induce vomiting if an appropriate toxin is found in the stomach. If there are no signs, watch your puppy closely.

If a poisonous plant is ingested, signs depend on the toxicity of that particular plant and can range from mild to severe. Signs can include: drooling or foaming at the mouth , diarrhea , vomiting , stomach irritation, abnormal heart rate, difficult breathing, liver damage and even coma or death . If you see any of these signs after your dog eats a leaf or flower from a pot plant, call your vet right away.

What NOT to do if your puppy eats a poisonous plant

Don’t make them vomit. If you suspect that they have eaten part of a poisonous plant, don’t induce vomiting at home. This could cause additional problems because some toxins are very irritating to the esophagus and stomach.

Don’t give your dog human medications . If you have any medication for yourself, including over-the-counter drugs, those should never be given to a dog. In many cases, the dosages are inaccurate or they could be toxic to your pet. It’s important to leave the treatment of your dog up to a veterinarian who knows how to treat them.

How to prevent your puppy from eating poisonous plants

Surprisingly, dogs will chew on plants. To prevent your puppy from chewing on poisonous plants, it’s important to be aware of their location in or around the house. Check for plants that are similar to ones listed above and try removing them if possible. If they’re not entirely removable, place something with a bitter taste, like Bitter Apple spray, on the leaves. Also check your greenhouse for any poisonous plants you’ve grown there and keep it locked when not in use.