Snake Bites on Dogs

If you think your dog has been bitten by a snake, it is important to get your dog to a vet as quickly as possible. Snake bites are painful and cause swelling in the area where they occurred. Snakes are fairly common in many parts of the United States and can be found in backyards, making them particularly dangerous for dogs that like to roam around the neighborhood on their own.

Snake bites from venomous snakes can cause serious health problems for dogs, including severe illness or death if left untreated by a veterinarian. The best way to prevent snake bites on dogs is prevention: keep snakes out of your yard with fencing or repellents (like coyote urine), keep an eye out when walking your dog through wooded areas and don’t let them run off leash unless there’s no chance of encountering dangerous wildlife like snakes!

Venom Is Poisonous

Venom is a mixture of proteins and enzymes that are injected into the bloodstream of your pet through the fangs of a snake. This can cause death or severe tissue damage, as well as swelling and bleeding.

In addition to its harmful effects on your dog, venom can also lead to life-threatening anaphylaxis (a severe allergic reaction) in people who are allergic to it. If you suspect that your pet was bitten by a snake, call your veterinarian immediately so they can administer emergency treatment.

Dogs Are at Risk of Snake Bites

As a dog owner, you likely want to keep your pup safe. And while snakes are generally not aggressive and will only bite if they feel threatened or scared, dogs can still be injured by the reptiles.

See also  Assessing Dog's Gums

Some of the reasons why dogs are at risk of being bitten include:

  • Dogs are curious and like to sniff and explore their surroundings. Snakes are often found hiding in bushes or under rocks or logs, so it’s not hard for a dog’s nose to find one.
  • Dogs tend to be faster than snakes; they’ll usually see a snake before the snake sees them, making it more likely that they’ll get bit if they try to play with one (or even just run past).
  • Even though most bites occur on the face—including around eyes—snakes do have fangs on their lower jaws as well as on top ones! So if you’ve ever wondered why Fido has an eye patch…this is probably why!

Rattle Snakes Have the Most Potent Venom

Rattlesnakes have the most potent venom of all venomous snakes. They can deliver up to 1/2 teaspoon of venom with each bite, and some species can inject more than this amount into their victims. A rattlesnake bite can be fatal if it goes untreated for 2-3 hours or longer. The snake’s fangs are large and hollow, allowing them to inject a large amount of venom with each strike.

Rattlesnake bites cause muscular necrosis (tissue death), which is why they’re so dangerous—they cause severe tissue damage, which may lead to gangrene and amputations if left untreated for too long!

Rattlesnake Bites Cause Muscle Necrosis & Tissue Damage

Rattlesnake bites are serious and can cause muscle necrosis, a condition in which muscle tissue dies. The resulting damage leaves you with scarred and stiffened skin, which may not be able to stretch when your dog is trying to move around. This can lead to pain, discomfort, or even lameness. Muscle necrosis is also associated with bleeding problems and organ failure.

See also  Dermatitis in Dogs

Rattlesnake Bites on Dogs Can Be Fatal if Untreated in 2-3 Hours

If untreated, rattlesnake bites can be fatal within a matter of hours. You need to get your dog to the vet immediately if he or she has been bitten by a rattlesnake. If you aren’t sure whether it was actually a rattlesnake that bit your dog, call an animal hospital or poison control center and ask them what steps to take.

If you do know that your pet was bitten by a rattlesnake, try not to panic—but do act quickly! The longer it takes for treatment after being bitten by a snake, the sicker (and therefore more likely dead) your pet will become.

Snake Bite Symptoms Include Puffiness, Weakness, Vomiting, Diarrhea and Fever.

Watch for the following symptoms:

  • Puffiness around the bitten limb, which may indicate an allergic reaction. The affected area will likely swell quickly and feel hot to the touch.
  • Weakness in that same limb or another part of your dog’s body. If she seems weak, gently lift her up and see if she can support herself (you might need someone to help). If she cannot stand, don’t try to move her; instead, call your veterinarian immediately!
  • Vomiting and diarrhea are also common symptoms of snake bites on dogs. Your pooch might also have a fever above 101 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius).

Conclusion

In conclusion, snakes are a common threat to dogs in certain areas and can cause fatal consequences if not treated within 2-3 hours. Dogs should be kept out of the backyard when you know that there are rattlesnakes in the area. Quick treatment with anti-venom can save your dog’s life.