If we spend too much time in the sun, our bodies begin to suffer and we get painful sunburns. Dogs are no different, and they can experience vitamin D poisoning if they ingest too much of it. While this condition is rare, it’s definitely something you should be aware of! This article will cover what you need to know about vitamin D poisoning in dogs, including causes, symptoms, treatment options and more.
Vitamin D is essential for a dog’s health.
Vitamin D is essential for a dog’s health. Without it, the body cannot properly absorb calcium and other minerals. This can lead to high blood pressure and kidney disease as well as heart disease in some cases. Vitamin D also supports:
- Bone development
- Calcium absorption
- Immune system function
- Blood clotting
- Muscle function
Too much vitamin D can be very harmful to a dog.
There are several ways a dog could come into contact with too much vitamin D. The most common cause is supplements that contain the vitamin, which can be found in some types of dog food or cat food. Too much fish in the diet can also lead to a buildup of vitamin D, as fish contain high levels of it.
If a dog spends too much time outside without proper sunscreen protection, he could develop rickets and other bone-related problems due to overexposure to sunlight; this condition is known as “vitamin D toxicity.” Finally, if your pet drinks too much milk (more than four cups per day), he may experience calcium deficiencies that result from excessive intake of phosphorous (which has been linked with heart disease).
There are no symptoms of vitamin D in the early stages.
In the early stages of vitamin D poisoning, your pet may display no symptoms at all. It’s only when the condition progresses that you’ll notice something is wrong. For this reason, it’s important to know if your dog has been taking vitamins without your knowledge. If this is the case and you find out about it too late, then you could be dealing with serious consequences for them and for other pets in your home.
In the later stages, symptoms include depression and vomiting.
- In the later stages, symptoms include depression and vomiting.
- Lethargy and muscle tremors are common as well.
As your dog’s vitamin D poisoning worsens, you’ll notice more severe symptoms, including weakness or stiffness in the muscles of your dog’s legs and back (also referred to as myopathy). This can cause him to be unable to walk without assistance from you or another person. It may also cause him difficulty standing up if he is lying down at the time it occurs. This makes it likely for him to fall over when walking on his own because he cannot use his legs properly due to their weakness or stiffness.
Vitamin D poisoning can cause calcification of soft tissue.
When vitamin D poisoning occurs, calcium builds up in the kidneys, heart, lungs and liver. The symptoms of this condition are similar to those of heart disease and include coughing, weight loss, lethargy and loss of appetite.
In severe cases of calcification caused by vitamin D poisoning, a dog may appear to be suffering from heart failure.
If your dog has been diagnosed with vitamin D poisoning, his veterinarian may also test his calcium levels. Calcium levels are tested in order to diagnose this condition. The veterinarian may take a blood sample or collect urine for analysis.
Treatments include fluid therapy, x-rays and medications.
- Fluid therapy: A veterinarian can administer intravenous fluids to increase your dog’s blood volume.
- X-rays: X-rays will allow the vet to see if any internal organs have been affected by the vitamin D overdose.
- Medications: Depending on your dog’s symptoms and level of illness, they may be given medication to help ease their discomfort or treat a secondary infection.
The key to look out for is if your dog has begun taking vitamins without your knowledge.
If you have a dog that is taking vitamins, it’s important to make sure they are safe for them. The key is to look out for changes in behavior and appetite. If your dog has begun taking vitamins without your knowledge, remove them immediately and contact your vet. Some signs of vitamin poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea and anorexia (a lack of desire to eat).
If the symptoms sound like something other than vitamin poisoning, consult with a veterinarian as soon as possible! However, if it seems like your pet may have been poisoned by too many vitamins or mineral supplements—and he doesn’t improve within 24 hours—make sure to call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222 or seek veterinary care immediately.”
If you are currently giving your dog vitamins, or if you plan to in the future, it is important to follow directions closely. Make sure that you do not give your dog more than the recommended dosage. While excessive vitamin D is rare, it can prove dangerous for dogs and even fatal if left untreated. If your dog appears to be sick, call a veterinarian immediately.