What to Do If Your Dog Ate a Dryer Sheet

If your dog eats a dryer sheet, don’t panic. While not a life-threatening emergency, the situation does need to be resolved as soon as possible before any toxic chemicals are absorbed into the body or damage is done to the intestinal tract.

The first thing you should do is call poison control. You’ll want to have your dog’s breed, weight, and age handy for when you’re asked about it by poison control staff. They may ask if your dog seems lethargic or has thrown up since eating the sheet; this information will help them determine what steps need to be taken next.

Find the sheet.

  • Check your dog’s mouth. Dryer sheets are pretty small, so they could have wedged themselves in there.
  • Look in your dog’s vomit. Dryer sheets will probably be visible if you look for them carefully, but don’t take any chances with this one—drain the tub immediately and clean up any residue as soon as possible!
  • Examine the stool of your dog to see if it contains any evidence of a swallowed dryer sheet. If it does, call a vet immediately—your pet may have an obstruction and require surgery to remove it safely before serious complications develop!

Observe your dog.

  • Observe your dog. Observing a dog after eating a dryer sheet is extremely important. If your dog ate more than one, and the first one was enough to cause mild vomiting or diarrhea, it’s possible that subsequent sheets won’t have the same effect on him. But if you suspect he may have eaten any quantity of fabric softener sheets, monitor him carefully for signs of discomfort or distress throughout the night and into the following day.
  • Check his body temperature regularly. Dogs with low body temperatures (less than 99 degrees Fahrenheit) are at increased risk for hypothermia and heart problems as well as other issues that can affect their quality of life in general—and this includes dogs who’ve ingested dryer sheets! Make sure your pup doesn’t get too cool by checking in on him periodically throughout the night when this may be an issue.

Get your dog checked out at the vet.

If you think your dog has eaten a dryer sheet, take it to a vet immediately. If the sheet has been ingested within the last hour or so, a vet may be able to induce vomiting in your dog if it’s still in its stomach. However, if the sheet has been absorbed into your pet’s body, it will most likely not be possible to get rid of all of the toxic chemicals without medical intervention.

The vet will want to know what kind of dryer sheet it was and how long ago your dog ate it.

If you’re wondering what to do if your dog ate a dryer sheet, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. The vet will want to know what kind of dryer sheet it was and how long ago your dog ate it. They’ll also want to know if your dog is acting normally and whether he or she has any symptoms that could indicate an injury or illness.

Most importantly, the vet will want to make sure that there are no signs of toxicity from eating the dryer sheet. If this is the case, they may recommend keeping your pet at home for several hours so that their stomach can be monitored closely until all traces of the dryer sheet have left their system.


It’s important to keep an eye on your dog after he eats something he shouldn’t have. The best thing you can do is call your vet, who will give you more detailed advice based on the specific situation. If you don’t have a vet, we recommend using a service like Rover to find one near you.